Monday, June 1, 2015

Pink Polka Dot Dress and Opening Reception

I was so lucky that my mom came with me to QN15- we have such a great time together and wound up making a mini-trip of it.  Before we went, I sewed up a new dress to wear to the opening reception, and of course it's pink.  I fell in love with this pink polka dot fabric a while back and made this dress based on a shirt pattern I'd made and liked previously.
  


The best thing about the opening was getting to meet so many fabulous artists.  64 of the accepted ~85 artists were at the opening and we had lots of opportunity to talk with each other.  Kathleen Dawson, the QN director, put pictures of all our quilts on our name tags.  It was one of those great ideas that really made a difference when we were all milling around, since it made it easy to put an artist face with a particular quilt and gave us someplace to start a conversation.  I'm so nervous meeting new people, especially people whose work I've admired from afar for a long time, but everyone was super friendly and open.  I spent a fair amount of time scurrying around getting the other artists to sign my show catalog- almost like yearbooks in high school.   It was especially neat to hear each artist talk about his/her piece, both from a technical and artistic standpoint.  Diedre Adams, who had a beautiful piece in the show, kindly took pictures of most of the artists and their pieces which she shared on her blog.  Definitely worth checking out if you'd like to see more of the work.  My friend Barb drove up from St. Louis to see the show as well, and it was great fun to see her.



I'm generally not one for selfies, but I love taking selfies with my mom.

You can see in the next one what a lovely job the Dairy Barn did hanging my piece so you can see the shadows behind it.



On the last day we went to Hocking Hills State Park and took a nice hike.  Even though we weren't on the most popular paths, since it was Memorial Day weekend there were hordes of people everywhere.  It reminded me of the country around Sewanee where I went to school, and was really a lovely state park.  The weather was gorgeous and made a nice break from home where we have had non-stop flooding rains and other severe weather.









1 comment:

  1. You look cute as button in those pink polka dots. Your quilt looks amazing at the show. I like the way they hung it away from the wall so that the shadows show up. They are good at that. I've been to the show in previous years when they did it with other quilts with cut-outs.

    ReplyDelete