I got it all cleaned up and have since been working away on my dog portraits which I'll talk more about in a minute. I do somehow seem to have gotten a bunch of unfinished projects tacked up in mid-completion.
So, no progress this week on:
Armadillo Whole Cloth (this is just for practice FMQ)
Orchard Quilt (I'm about 1/3rd done quilting this)
Mountains (This just needs binding/pocket/label, but I'm still not totally satisfied with the large green foreground mountains, so we'll see what I decide)
Rainbow Star (The next step on this is piecing the piano key border)
Mammal Medallion (This is my next big art quilt, still in the early design stages)
I have been working hard on the dog portraits- I'd originally wanted to finish them by the end of this month to enter a show, but I really don't think I'm going to make it.
Since I last posted I finished the thread painting on the Pumpkin dog and layered the Pumpkin dog and the Bullett dog for quilting. I stretched/ironed them out as flat as I could (Bullett had been stapled to a blocking board for months anyway), and layered them with two batts. I used wool batting since that's what I have right now. I put two batts because I thought that might help with any distortion in the top from the dense thread painting and that it might give a little extra weight to help with hanging. I hate seeing quilts that don't hang straight and flat (and mine often have that problem).
I'm quilting each dog separately and then am going to mount them to a separate quilted back piece (kind of like pinning a picture to a bulletin board). More on that when I get to it. I quilted the "dog" part of Bullett and Pumpkin using clear monofilament (since they're already so covered in thread from the thread painting), and was pleased with how they flattened out.
I decided to wait to do the backgrounds until I've thread painted Missy since I'd like all the backgrounds to look consistent and I think I'll have a better chance of that if I quilt them at the same time. So in the last couple of days I've been working on Missy. Slow going with all the thread changes but I think she's looking good so far (the weird circle is where I had her hooped).
I've noticed that the thread painting on Pumpkin is much more dense than that on Bullett (who was finished first a couple of years back). I'm trying for a happy medium on Missy.
No Link up at Lee's this week, but I'm going to be sharing over at the fabulous Nina-Marie's.