Wednesday, September 14, 2011

State Fair Roundup

I've entered some of my quilts in quilt shows before (when I can remember the deadlines), and it's always fun to see them hanging up with the really phenomenal work that is usually present.  This year I decided to enter a quilt in the state fair (which always reminds me of Charlotte and Wilbur).  They give out ribbons up to 10th place in each category, and even though they use fairly standard ribbons, they're usually bright fun colors.

When I went online to register, I realized I'd missed the deadline so had to pay a late fee.  When I looked closer though, I realized it was a single ten dollar fee for as many items as you wanted to enter and the only limit was that you could only enter one item per category and the items had to be finished this year.  The state fair has LOTS of categories, so I figured why not enter several things!

Here's what I entered; keep your fingers crossed that I get at least a couple of fun colored ribbons!

In Quilts: Machine Quilted
Starflower


In Embroidery: Mixed Types (I originally had it in Custom Needlepoint but the lady at the fair told me it wasn't needlepoint at all and helped me find a different category.  I was confused apparently)
Starflower 2


In Crochet: Animals/amigurumi



 In Quilts: Crib
Hawaiian Applique (yes, I know it's not really a crib quilt, but it's about that size, and you're really not supposed to put quilts in cribs anyway these days)
In Quilts: Miniature


And, finally
In Quilts: Wall Hangings


Wish me luck!

What's your feeling on entering quilts or projects in contests?  Have you won any fun ribbons?

4 comments:

  1. Lovely pieces, Shannon. Good luck at the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I really like your miniature quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'm super excited to go, I love seeing all the animals and 4-H stuff and really large vegetables and especially the creative arts stuff. The last time we went it was near the end and all the animals were already gone so I was pretty bummed.

    Kenda, the S quilt is a smaller version of a large wall-hanging I've been working on for a while. I made it for a challenge and was so sad when it didn't get accepted. I really like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am here for mini quilt monday but I had fun looking through your blog. I am from Oklahoma and I am not sure that I will be going to the state fair, but if I do, it will be fun to look for your lovely entries : )

    http://piecefullife-elizabeth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete